Greetings from Australia

Greetings from Australia

Postby vulpes » Fri May 06, 2011 1:55 am

Minna-san Konnichiwa! :AnimeSmile:

I'm currectly living in Australia, South Australia to be more location.. thingy.. wise.... heh..

I'm fairly new and yet at the same time not new to Japanese - I was forced into classes in high school, but like most teenagers I thought I was cool not to pay attention, after leaving school I regreted it greatly. I tried to learn on and off for many years, I even made a youtube channel and documented my learning - even shared what I'd learn to help others. But learning alone was very hard or maybe I was just lazy? But I give up for a year.. My town doesn't offer any Japanese courses and the nearest place to do it would be a 3 hour drive daily.. But, I have now found YesJapan and many other sites which I didn't know about and they are helping me greatly - I had real trouble understanding WA, GA, NO, TE, etc etc.. but the way it is explained here made it click in my head, it makes so much more sense with examples and explaining plainly.

If I had to admit to a weakness, I'd say it is learning Hiragana, I start to learn but I seem to forget a charater here and then there. Maybe I need to make some flash cards for myself?

Right now I have notepads and I write down what I've learned and repeat it back to myself during the day whenever I feel like I'm unsure. I had some odd looks my way when I keep pointing to my lips, eyes, ears, head and feet while naming them in Japanese :oops: but oh well!

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu! *bow*
Forgive me if I bring to life dead threads - I am stupid. :P

Level 1: Basic
(I need to grind more words to level up)
vulpes

Re: Greetings from Australia

Postby Reirei » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Heya!

I'm from Sydney myself. :)
Just wanted to share a piece of advice with the learning hiragana.

I purchased some manga (the australian kinokuniya store has an online store and there is always ebay) and tried to get an idea of what was going on. The younger the target audience the better. So try something like Kirby or Pokemon or Doraemon. Waaaaay more fun than flash cards.

Even though I had a tiny vocab I'd just read through it best I could by sounding out everything out loud.
Every so often I'd come accross a word I recognised and get really excited. It was enough motivation to keep me going until I was really confident.
Reirei

Postby Mastema » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:22 am

Hey hey, G'day.

I'm also from South Australia! :mrgreen:

I just thought I'd introduce myself. Nice to meet you all. :3

It is VERY early in the morning here, almost 4am, but ever since a friend of mine heard I wanted to learn japanese AND bought me the first three books from this website. I've been too excited to sleep. So i've signed up and got another friend of mine to sign up too, I hope we can both learn together, I'll try my best. *bow*
Mastema
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby Ravyre » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:20 am

Pleased to meet you Mastema! :)

I wish you all the very best of luck with your studies, and hope you make many friends through your language journey! ^^
( メ▼Д▼) で?
Ravyre
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Return to The rest of the world!