jobs in japan

Travel stories, photos, questions

jobs in japan

Postby spandexmuffin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:40 am

I am thinking about going to college in Japan, and I was wondering what the best job to get would be for someone who doesn't speak much Japanese.
spandexmuffin

Re: jobs in japan

Postby Musouka » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:12 am

I don't think you are allowed to work full-time on a Ryugakusei Visa (International Student Visa), but I guess you would be able to find some part-time job (no more than 28 hours a week, I believe) doing some mundane work here or there. You cannot work in bars or sell stuff on the street... Maybe teach English if you're a native speaker?
空腹は最善のソースである。
Musouka
Uchuuteki na member!
Uchuuteki na member!

Postby Eijioo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 am

I have a few questions related to this topic.
Any or all questions answered would be helpful to me.

1.Anyone know or have the experience if it is difficult for Americans to find a job or qualify to get a work visa in Japan if they have only a high school diploma?

2.Can a foreigner in Japan get a part-time job at a coffee shop, a cashier at a grocery store, or anything other basic labor jobs which would NOT normally require any high level of education other than being able to speak Japanese?

3. Are there any jobs in Japan which would hire an English speaking person even though they may not speak Japanese well.

4. Can a foreigner get either a student visa and also work by simply going to a school in Japan such as a Japanese language school?
Eijioo
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby tamagoyaki » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 pm

1. More difficult, but not impossible. The company that wants to hire you will have to sponsor your work visa, and there's a fair bit of red tape involved. If you already have a visa that allows work, chances improve.

2. see #1

3. It'll probably be a job where your native language is considered to be of very high value. Teaching English, for example. One of my friends got a job as a German teacher, even though he was fairly fresh out of high school. Alternately, the usual rules apply- so if you're bringing a much-needed skill to the table (like being an awesome web developer), that's points in your favor, which may or may not be able to overcome the language barrier.

4. Yes, there are language schools that will sponsor student visas. There's red tape involved, but you'll certainly be able to find schools that will go through it for a paying student.
tamagoyaki

Postby jessman1999 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:18 pm

I have a few questions related to this topic.
Any or all questions answered would be helpful to me.

1.Anyone know or have the experience if it is difficult for Americans to find a job or qualify to get a work visa in Japan if they have only a high school diploma?

2.Can a foreigner in Japan get a part-time job at a coffee shop, a cashier at a grocery store, or anything other basic labor jobs which would NOT normally require any high level of education other than being able to speak Japanese?

3. Are there any jobs in Japan which would hire an English speaking person even though they may not speak Japanese well.

4. Can a foreigner get either a student visa and also work by simply going to a school in Japan such as a Japanese language school?

1. To obtain a working visa as an American you must, I repeat you MUST have a 4 year degree from a university.

2. Yes, a foreigner can get those type of jobs, but unless if you have near native Japanese they won't hire you. You will need a strong command of keigo (the honorific language). Most people who study Japanese can't use keigo.

3. Yes, those are called, eikaiwa (English conversation) jobs.

4. Yes, they can, but it is very strict and if your grades slip they will forbid you from working. That is, if you chose to tell them you have a job.
jessman1999
Densetsuteki na member!
Densetsuteki na member!

Postby tamagoyaki » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:38 am

Several years of very relevant work experience can stand in for a degree.
tamagoyaki

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips