Spent some time in Narita Airport

Travel stories, photos, questions

Spent some time in Narita Airport

Postby Cup o Joe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:49 am

On July 7th 2008 I went to Japan as a transfer flight to Australia. There were a few stewardesses from Japan air doing a star festival tree and I spoke to them in Japanese, they were really happy so I took a picture with them, here's the photo.

Star festival.jpg
Airplane transfer in Japan.
Star festival.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 698 times

a few minutes later at starbucks which is right of the photo, (takai desu ne) people in my group were arguing which coin was lucky and which is the 5 yen coin. They didn't believe me so I was like, okay give me the one with the hole in it. So they did and I walked up to an old lady and asked her. the conversation went like this.

"sumimasen, um, kore wa go en desu ka?"
"ehh nani?"
"go en desu ka? five?"
"ehh? oh! GO EN! hai so desu."
"domo."

then I went to the table where my group was and I said "Ha! I told you it was a 5 en coin." :P
It was fun, we met other pilgrims going to World Youth Day too.

Then on July 22nd I came back to go back to Canada. It was hilarious when we got to the main building was this security guard pointing and talking in the middle of the hallway with no one there. (he was practicing his lines probably about directions but it was funny)

Anyway a few seconds later we went to the bag check and there was this guide who said:

"hello welucomu backu to japan." :)
and i said "oh that's very good English, you've been practicing a lot probably right?"
"yes."

anyway there was someone in the group who didn't pay attention and talked to her like: "WEEEE NEEED TO KNNOWW IFF OUR BAGS ARE GOING TO BE TRANFERED TO OUR PLANEEE!! DOO YOU UNDERSTAND?!!!"

and she took a step back and said "eh?" :o

and I said to the Japanese guide: "She wants to know if our luggage will be placed on our plane heading to YYZ at the time that is indicated on our bags."

"let me check." (she took out her radio and asked) and then said: "yes of course."
While we were talking, the person being ignorant was trying to yell over me and after I talked to the lady I said "WILL YOU SHUT UP? The Japanese learn english since the 6th grade, she's got at least 10 years of English under her belt!" and the japanese lady said

"yes, thatsu right, I mayu not have your accent but I do know Englishu, anyway here is the bag check."
"THANK YOUUUUUU FOR YOUURR HELP!"
then I said "I am so sorry for this, thank you."
Then the guide said "you're very welcome." and left.

so we passed through the bag check and we went to a big waiting area where they sold fries and hotdogs. near that common area there is a duty free. I was 19 at the time so I was able to try some rice wine and beer. The lady working there was very fluent in English, she was letting me sample pretty much everything and said "next time you come to japan come by again, okay?" :D

And at the electronics shop, there was a lady who would bring people in by giving them free dessert snacks it was really good. Before I went there, I was talking to the currency exchange ladies a bit in Japanese.

it was dinner time so I went to a sushi place near the oxygen "bar" (an area where there's more oxygen in the air). It was really good. After I ate I couldn't find my group anywhere and then I thought, oh shoot they probably went to the other terminal! and so I went to a security guard and said "Excuse me, could you help me find gate 82 please? I don't know where my group went." He completely ignored me. He went over to other security guards and they started talking and laughing. then I said: "You're not fooling anyone, I know for a fact that you guys learn English from the 6th grade onward, could you please help me?"

He then said. "Oh, kare wa shitte iru. yes, follow me." Then he ran to the monorail.

Overall it was a really fun experience, I got to practice Japanese for about 14 hours in total. I was given a 3 month visa in case I could stay but I didn't have enough money. I wanted to though. Next time I go to Japan I'll do more than be in Narita Airport the whole time. :?
Want to know about the strong right arm of
The Church? Check out our website:
Cup o Joe

Re: Spent some time in Narita Airport

Postby planeteuropa » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 pm

hmmmm, sound like a pretty cool experience at Narita

:thumb:
anyway a few seconds later we went to the bag check and there was this guide who said:

"hello welucomu backu to japan." :)
and i said "oh that's very good English, you've been practicing a lot probably right?"
"yes."

anyway there was someone in the group who didn't pay attention and talked to her like: "WEEEE NEEED TO KNNOWW IFF OUR BAGS ARE GOING TO BE TRANFERED TO OUR PLANEEE!! DOO YOU UNDERSTAND?!!!"

and she took a step back and said "eh?" :o

and I said to the Japanese guide: "She wants to know if our luggage will be placed on our plane heading to YYZ at the time that is indicated on our bags."

"let me check." (she took out her radio and asked) and then said: "yes of course."
While we were talking, the person being ignorant was trying to yell over me and after I talked to the lady I said "WILL YOU SHUT UP? The Japanese learn english since the 6th grade, she's got at least 10 years of English under her belt!" and the japanese lady said

"yes, thatsu right, I mayu not have your accent but I do know Englishu, anyway here is the bag check."
"THANK YOUUUUUU FOR YOUURR HELP!"
then I said "I am so sorry for this, thank you."
Then the guide said "you're very welcome." and left.

Man,I hate it when foreigners act like jackasses in Japan!! It really makes the rest of the world look bad. In particular it makes english speakers look bad. I remember 2 years ago I was at narita's foreign customs check in line and there was this Asian-American guy in front of me. The lady at the gate thought that he was Japanese and so she spoke to him in Japanese; He then yelled at her "I don't speak Japanese!!"

And so I then said .."Ano, Sumimasen, kono hito wa nihongo ga wakarimasen." He then look at me like he wanted to kill me :evil: . But I didn't care, I wasn't gonna stand by and have him get his way. Looking back on it, what I should have said was "Man, your asian and you can't even spaek your own language...Your F^&%ed! I know that I don't look American either, but at least I can speak my Nicaraguan bood-line language on top of english and on top of Japanese."
planeteuropa
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips