Going to Osaka

Travel stories, photos, questions

Going to Osaka

Postby Pasjonsfrukt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

This summer i'm going to Osaka for about two weeks. I've saved up money for this trip for a long time and i'm really excited, as this is going to be my first trip to Japan.
I was wondering if anyone here has been to Osaka and has any travel tips for me? Things not to miss while there etc.
I have of course checked out lots of stuff to do while there, but if someone has any experience from being there i'd love to hear what you did during your stay :D
Pasjonsfrukt

Re: Going to Osaka

Postby Khyron » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Only Osaka? 2 weeks is quite a long time, and given how fast it is to travel to other places by bullet train, I would advise you perhaps go on at least 1 or 2 short trips to other places.

When I used to go to Japan I used Kobe (right next to Osaka) as my central hub, then travelling to Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima in that order of preference. The travel times to Kobe is about 30mins by regular train. Kyoto and Nara would be about 30min-1hr by regular train, Tokyo and Hiroshima are both about 3hr by bullet train.

If you get a JR pass for 2 weeks the cost of the fares wouldn't even be so much individually.
Khyron
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby cheryl.ak » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 pm

How exciting!! I went to Osaka for one week. When I was there, my friend (who grew up there) wanted to make sure I tried a food from that area called Takoyaki. It's octopus covered in some sauce.. in the shape of a ball. (I ate A LOT of octopus there) We also went to a karaoke place (fun!).

But, honestly, most of the stuff we did was outside of Osaka. I also traveled to Kyoto and Nara. If you can travel to Kyoto.. I would! How often will you be in Japan for two weeks? Right? :) It's a beautiful place with lots of history and cool things to see. Its worth the trip!! In Nara, I went to a park (called Deer Park, I think??) where tame deer roam around and you can feed them. They are all trained to bow to you when you bow to them. Todaiji temple is nearby. It's HUGE and you can crawl through this square hole in a post that's the size of the Buddha's nose there. Don't ask why you'd want to travel around the world to do that.. :p I was told you will be "reborn" if you go through it. So... there are some more ideas for nearby places to go, if you need them.

I know you'll have tons of fun! I wish I could go back soon. It's an amazing experience!!
cheryl.ak

Postby Pasjonsfrukt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Had both Kobe and Kyoto in mind, but I wasn't really aware of Nara, so i'll definitely look into going there!
Also i'll have to check out that JR pass, that might be a very good idea.

Encountering bowing deers and getting reborn all in one day does sound like a blast :mrgreen:
It sounds like you had a great time there cheryl, and i'm sure i'll have a great time there too!
Also i'm looking forward to crashing and burning with my 'allmighty' japanese skills :)

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming if you've got any more! Thanks a lot!
Pasjonsfrukt

Postby Sally » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:40 am

My husband and I went to Osaka September of 2009. We loved it! You really have to go to Nara and feed the deer. It was the highlight of my trip. Watchout for the fishcake on a stick though, it is nasty tasting. You will have a wonderful time and wish you could stay longer. Enjoy!
Sally

Postby choward8786 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 am

Oh Osaka, a cool site is to check out Osaka-Jo. But yea as members recommended you should check out the deer park in Nara. Also if you are not able to go to Akihabara, you can go to Nipponbashi or Den Den Town as it is reffered to. It's a shopping district that gets compared to Akihabara.
choward8786

Postby Pasjonsfrukt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 am

Yeah I've heard of that, i'll definitely check it out :)
Does anyone know some sort of pub/bar or whatever where underground japanese bands play?
I would love to hear some local bands!
Pasjonsfrukt

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips