citizenship in JP

Travel stories, photos, questions

citizenship in JP

Postby daima » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:17 pm

im sorry if there is a question about this already, if there is a thread plz link me.

i read that japan is not a dual citizenship. im not sure what that is....is it that if you once become a citizen in japan that you can no longer move back and live in America? (lives in America)
daima

Re: citizenship in JP

Postby Khyron » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Yes, to gain citizenship, you have to renounce your existing citizenship to other countries.
Khyron
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby daima » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:57 pm

ok i see thank you. another question. so say that i gained citizenship in japan and decided that i wanted to go back to america do i have to do that long and burdensome task to get my citizenship back?
daima

Postby Khyron » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:51 pm

One question- why would you want to become a citizen?

You can be a permanent resident, with many of the useful rights of citizenship (you just can't vote).

Also, how do you plan on becoming a citizen? Marrying a japanese person? Realistically, even if you are a japanese citizen, you will face many of the annoying issues of living in japan unless you also happen to *look* japanese, so i don't know why anyone would bother.
Khyron
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby kaleb_zero » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:24 pm

If you have questions about the naturalization process for Japan I'd suggest checking out this website which has a very in-depth guide on the entire process, and blog written by an English man who is going through the processs right now:

http://www.turning-japanese.info
Catch up with all things Japan-related at my new blog/website http://www.sakurabranch.com
kaleb_zero
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby Mrgantys11 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:26 pm

I'd rather keep the American pension system than the Japanese one. Whether or not the American one will be broken when I hit 65 is a "maybe", I'm pretty damn sure then Japanese one will be broken by that time.
Mrgantys11

Postby mjroberts » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 am

Just so you know, if you renounce your American citizenship that's it. You can never get it back.

Also, it takes people 10-20 years of residence to gain Japanese citizenship, and you have to go through a whole LOT of red tape to accomplish it. Just make sure it's something you really want to do.
mjroberts

Postby JFZ Teacher (George) » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 am

For as much as I love Japan I wouldn't want to be a citizen. The taxes are much higher than the United States and America is such a great country to live in despite all of its real and perceived problems.

On the flip side my wife is Japanese and she has remained a Japanese citizen despite living here in the US for over 15 years. Strategically because she is Japanese we can, as a couple, gain most of the benefits of Japan if she maintains her citizenship. For example, I could be on her national health insurance which kills anything we have in America. Imagine going to the hospital WHENEVER you are sick LOL.

My children were both born in the United States and have dual citizenship between Japan and the US. It's my understanding that they should choose which country to be a citizen of on there 18th birthday, but there is no enforcement of this rule and both countries allow for the dual citizenship. My wife is more up on the rules than me though so don't assume this is true.

I recommend you live in Japan a few years BEFORE even considering becoming Japanese, which is NOT easy. You have to be VERY fluent in Japanese from my understanding and then you still end up dealing with a lot of disadvantages because Japan is xenophobic and a non Japanese looking Japanese person is rare. In America an Asian looking person claiming to be American wouldn't be weird in anyway, but in Japan you would always have to carry your documents to prove it and even though you would not be really considered Japanese. Evidence of this is probably easily found on google.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

George
JFZ Teacher (George)
Sensei
Sensei

Postby planeteuropa » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Whoa! look at George throwing out big words XENOPHOBIA now that is a $5.00 word my tomodachi. Xenophobia=The hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture. Nice word George, I think I will keep this one in my pocket for my future gameshow appearance. In all honesty, Japan itself never really cared about opening itself up to the rest of the world. If it was up to them they would've never have opened thier ports. But they were bullied and forced to do so; It was July 8th, 1853 when American Commodore Matthew Perry led his four ships into the harbor at Tokyo Bay, opening up foreign trade, and believe me he wasn't asking. If becomeing a Japanese citizen will bring you happiness then I say do it! I myself am a citizen of planet earth. I was actually born in Leon, Nicaragua. Many Americans do not fully see me as American because I have that other side of me that is Central American and many Nicaraguans do not see me as fully Nicaraguan because I have that side of me that is Americanized. But I don't care!!! F^%$ everybody!!! I am like a Vampire, half human and half demon but not accepted by either side. In the end, it's not where I am from that matters (I could be from Mars for all anyone cares) It's where I am going that matters; it's what I bring to the table that matters. honestly, it all comes down to what your made of, your inner strenght, your resourcefulness and intellect will carry you much further than your citizenship ever will :wink:
planeteuropa
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby Eijioo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:45 pm

If it is true that you cannot have a dual citizenship between the U.S. and Japan is it still possible to live in Japan on a short term basis?
What I mean is, could a U.S. citizen live in Japan, rent apartment for 2, 3, 6? months as an extended visitor in order to become more accustomed to Japan in order to make a better decision to become a citizen, if possible, and lived there permanently? Or just something like having a summer home in Japan?
I am not talking just for one time, but to be able to go back to Japan every year and stay for a length of time without having to be a student or worker.
Eijioo
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby jessman1999 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:23 pm

It'll cost you a crazy amount of money, but the short answer is yes.
jessman1999
Densetsuteki na member!
Densetsuteki na member!

Postby planeteuropa » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 pm

If you have money$$$ Japan will always love you. But, if you don't, they will very politely tell you to F#ck OFF!!
planeteuropa
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips