New Years festivals or events?

Travel stories, photos, questions

New Years festivals or events?

Postby matt7988 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:23 am

So here's the situation: I'm visiting Japan for the first time on New Years day. My plan is to take a train to Nagano and shred some powder. :) I'll most likely be flying out early Dec. 31st which means that I will be getting into Tokyo about 1-3 pm on Jan 1st. I realize that they probably do things on New Years eve, but I wasn't sure. I'm getting there on Jan 1st merely due to coincidence, but, if I've got the opportunity I don't want to miss the festivals and fireworks displays that might go on during this time.

Does anything happen on New Year's day or evening that I can go to? I'm starting to realize that I'm probably going to miss the biggest festival of the year by less than 15 hours. :?

Let me know. Thanks! :wink:
Network Engineer and forever a student.
matt7988

Re: New Years festivals or events?

Postby tamagoyaki » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:30 pm

New Year's is huge, and many businesses are closed for several days after. If you're keen on taking part in some festivities, I'd seek out a good shrine and ask if anything will be going on there.
tamagoyaki

Postby robbo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 pm

The New Year in Japan is important, but imagine visiting your own country over Christmas. Yes, everybody has a nice time with food, drink and various traditions, but if you're not with family or friends then it's a bit rubbish. Even the countdown is a relatively recent western import.

Fireworks are generally a summer event, and as has already been mentioned, a lot of places are shut over the new year period. Japanese people will spend the time with their families. Many go to a shrine or temple on New Year's day, but as a foreigner you'll probably be feeling left very underwhelmed. The New Year is supposed to be the one time of the year everybody can relax. For many Japanese people the main tradition is to watch a singing contest on NHK!
robbo

Postby planeteuropa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:03 am

Yeah, if you go to Japan during New Years day everyone will be at home or at shrines and temples and you'll feel like a loner in a ghost town. But, on the other hand; you could always go "Party Boy!!!"

planeteuropa
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips