meetup on short notice?/movies

Travel stories, photos, questions

meetup on short notice?/movies

Postby produck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm in Tokyo through Tuesday, Dec. 29th, on vacation from Ohio. Been here alone a few days, and it's been fun, but it seems hard to get past the surface this way. Plus it would be cool to meet another YJ member. Anybody want to meet up on Monday or Tuesday? Or in Kyoto on Wednesday or Thursday?

Next question: is there anything here a film buff shouldn't miss, or any good film activities in general?

Thanks!
Steve
-Steve
produck

Re: meetup on short notice?/movies

Postby Kinzokusei no Inu » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm in town. If you're ok with the train system, I can send you directions. Not that I'm all that well-versed or connected in Tokyo though. Just about all I do here is go to live houses. :)

As for movies, I think the biggest release of late is Nodame Cantabile.
http://asianmediawiki.com/Nodame_Cantab ... e_-_Part_I
It'll probably be pretty entertaining for those who follow this series, though maybe not for serious film critics.

If you recall the band "ato" from the early YesJapan/JapanFiles days, they are playing at the Otsuka Red Zone tonight.
They've modified their name to "ato-saki".
http://www.red-zone.info/red-zone_hp/pc ... flame.html
だいたい分かりましたよ(笑)
Kinzokusei no Inu
Kakkiteki na member!
Kakkiteki na member!

Postby produck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:30 pm

Sounds great. You're going to Red Zone tonight? What time? :D

I was thinking of trying to see the DJ Shinichi Osawa tomorrow night at "Club Axxcis" in Shibuya if it looks like a good scene. Have you heard of it? www.axxcis.net

I'm OK with the trains, as well, if tonight doesn't work out. I'm most reliably reachable online. I believe I can receive texts to 330-603-1520. Otherwise my phone doesn't seem to be functional. Though I've only tried international calls; maybe within Japan it works.

Thanks!
-Steve
produck

Postby Kinzokusei no Inu » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about it. I didn't book in advance, but I doubt it will be sold out. I can meet you there if you like. The ato set starts 6:50 and doors open at 5:15, so I'll go down there within that window. There often isn't many people at these indie lives, but it's cool that you can sometimes meet and talk to the band members. Never know though. I got to see the groovy little RaM sisters doing their thing in full band format last night, and that place was packed.

They tell me the phones from back home don't work over here. I don't have one myself, so it's easier to arrange ahead of time rather than on the fly.
だいたい分かりましたよ(笑)
Kinzokusei no Inu
Kakkiteki na member!
Kakkiteki na member!

Postby produck » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm heading over now... I don't look like my pic anymore -- now it's short hair, no glasses, and slight beard, and I'll be in a white hoodie with big stripes. Hopefully I'll see ya!
-Steve
produck

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips