Staying in Guest Houses?

Travel stories, photos, questions

Staying in Guest Houses?

Postby zhai » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 am

Hello i'm thinking of going to Osaka next year for a few months and i found this

http://guesthouseosaka.com/en/melon/index.html

i was wondering if anyone has any experience with these kind of places

i thought this was strange

*Your accommodation charge must be paid in cash before checking-in. We accept Japanese yen, cash only. We will not accept traveler's check, foreign currency, or credit card.

is this normal? it sounds risky going in and handing over over a thousand Pounds in cash :shock:
あほい
zhai

Re: Staying in Guest Houses?

Postby Mrgantys11 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:06 pm

I have no personal experience with guest houses, but requiring a cash payment is not strange in Japan, although there has been a large move to plastic lately, quite a few shops in Japan still take cash only. As for requiring it all up front........ I dunno.
Mrgantys11

Postby Mrgantys11 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 pm

When I rented my place, I had to pay the landlord's fee, agent's fee, security deposit and first months rent all in cash. Normally each fee listed is the same cost as the rent. That was alot of money in my pocket >_<.
Mrgantys11

Postby kaleb_zero » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:47 am

It's not at all out of the ordinary to accept cash only in Japan. When working in Japan, your "paycheck" is either actual cold hard cash in an envelope with a paystub attached via paperclip, or direct deposit into your account. Use of plastic is limited, and its not uncommon to plop down $4000 worth of 10,000YEN bills for a large purchase or, in my case, a school tuition payment.

Just do some research and make sure the company is ligit. The cash thing shouldn't raise any alarms.
Catch up with all things Japan-related at my new blog/website http://www.sakurabranch.com
kaleb_zero
Chougenki na member!
Chougenki na member!

Postby Kinzokusei no Inu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:10 am

Yeah, cash is still king in Japan. As long as you get a receipt and a room you should be fine.

I'm taking some classes at a school in Tokyo this winter. They don't accept credit cards, etc either. Just cash or bank draft.

Personally, I'd rather not use credit cards overseas anyway. Last time I came back from 3 months in Japan, all my cards were suspended and disabled, because the credit card companies couldn't contact me to verify if the overseas transactions were legit or not.
Last edited by Kinzokusei no Inu on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
だいたい分かりましたよ(笑)
Kinzokusei no Inu
Kakkiteki na member!
Kakkiteki na member!

Postby tamagoyaki » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:12 am

I'm staying in an Osaka guest house right now. The cash thing is completely normal. I put the money down for the deposit, first month's rent, and an internet fee up front in cash, and the clerk wrote up receipts for each payment, stamping them with the company seal.

Oh, keep in mind that the furnishings may not necessarily suit you. I ended up ordering an office chair from amazon.co.jp (thank goodness for free fast shipping) to save my back from the horrors of sitting on a kiddie stool. They got me the chair the next day.
tamagoyaki

Postby zhai » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Ah i see i didn't know about the cash thing :lol:

tamagoyaki > what guest house are you staying at? is it any good? does it have a website? :sushi:
あほい
zhai

Postby tamagoyaki » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm

It's called Osaka English House (http://www.o-e-h.com/). It is named so because it is also a small English language school for kids and adults. I picked this place because it houses local college students in addition to foreigners (it's roughly half-and-half) right now). Most, if not all, of the students are studying English, so we go back and forth between languages to help each other practice.

I've not seen any other guest houses, so I can't really compare. I won't make any comments regarding space, as I'm still adjusting to the compact nature of Japan. The place is clean (a housekeeper comes every day to take care of that), there seems to be plenty of bathrooms/toilets, and the staff has been quite helpful.

You can have an internet connection in your room for 3,000 yen a month. I strongly advise that you set up a computer and take advantage of this, as it's surely the cheapest way to keep in touch with people. If you don't bring your own (everyone regrets this), there are PC's and a full-size copy machine that can be utilized on a pay-per-use basis. Also, coin-operated laundry machines and phones are available. You might consider getting a pre-paid mobile phone here, as I've heard that they're quite cost-effective, especially if you're mainly using it to receive calls.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. I'll have to write a blog about guest house living or something, later down the road.
tamagoyaki

Postby zhai » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 am

Wow thanks! i'll have a look :D

i found this place a few days ago http://www.jafnet.co.jp/plaza/guesthous ... iwari.htm#

its called J&f Plaza anyone have experience with this place? isnt 35,000円 + 10,000円 for a room and utilities kinda cheap? maybe theres a reason why its so cheap? :shock:
あほい
zhai

Postby tamagoyaki » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:24 pm

That place looks nice, but I'm not a fan of public toilets.

Keep in mind that you're just renting a little bedroom for the fee that you're paying. If you want something more like a fully-functional apartment (your own kitchen, toilet, bathroom, etc) prices start a good bit higher.
tamagoyaki

Return to Japanese Travel Stories & Tips